JELD-WEN’s goals are to be the industry leader in socially responsible practices and to conduct our business in a manner that demonstrates environmental stewardship.
Our environmental stewardship philosophy manifests in many ways:
- We design and produce long-lasting, energy-saving windows and doors.
- Our manufacturing process utilizes recycled waste materials.
- We manufacture products close to markets in order to minimize fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
Partnerships, Accreditations and Certifications
JELD-WEN is constantly striving to improve the sustainability of our products and recently reinforced our efforts through rigorous testing to obtain UL Environment's GREENGUARD Gold Certification. With the award of GREENGUARD Gold Certification, JELD-WEN interior molded door systems and doors along with MiraTEC and Extira will help building and design teams meet and exceed emissions criteria for various green building programs, such as LEED®, Living Building Challenge and ASHRAE. Architects, builders, home owners and interested parties can find the JELD-WEN certified product portfolio on UL's database
The SPOT: https://spot.ulprospector.com/en/na/BuiltEnvironment
About GREENGUARD Certification
As an accredited, third-party organization UL certifies products and materials for low chemical emissions and serves as a resource for choosing healthier products and materials for indoor environments. All certified products must meet stringent emissions standards originally developed for the US EPA and the State of Washington building projects. GREENGUARD Certification is broadly recognized and accepted by sustainable building programs and building codes around the world.
The following products manufactured by JELD-WEN have been approved for points toward National Green Building Certification to the ICC 700 -2012 National Green Building Standard for residential construction:
- SFI® - or FSC® -qualified ENERGY STAR® wood windows and patio doors with AuraLast® Wood
- ENERGY STAR qualified vinyl windows and patio doors
SCS Global Services
One way JELD-WEN supports sustainable construction is by using recycled materials in the production of our Interior Molded Wood Composite doors. In fact, door slabs are SCS Global Services certified with a specified pre-consumer recycled content, depending on model. Recycled content percentages refer to the door slab and do not include the door frame and frame components.
- JELD-WEN interior passage doors contain an average 38% recycled content pre-consumer wood content and are certified for NAUF. Download Certificate SCS-MC-03033
- All hollow core JELD-WEN interior bi-fold doors contain an average 36% pre-consumer recycled wood fiber content. Download Certificate SCS-MC-03034
- JELD-WEN molded door skins, a component of JELD-WEN interior doors, contain an average 56% pre-consumer recycled wood fiber content. Download Certificate SCS-MC-01117 Download Certificate SCS-NAUF-03056
- Extira treated exterior panels and MiraTEC treated exterior composite trim are certified No Added Urea Formaldehyde (NAUF). Download Certificate SCS-NAUF-03641
Sustainable Forestry Initiative
We support the land stewardship ethics of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative. We hold SFI Chain of Custody certification, which governs all changes of custodianship of forest-based products during the harvesting, transportation, processing and distribution from the forest to end-use. Third-party inspections are conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers, an independent auditing firm. As a result, we offer (SFI) certified AuraLast® Wood for our wood windows and patio doors.
Forest Stewardship CouncilTM
JELD-WEN has earned and maintained Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) Chain of Custody certification at certain facilities, allowing us to offer FSC-certified wood doors and windows. FSC promotes environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests.
JELD-WEN strives to utilize suppliers who adhere to these practices in their harvest and replanting operations. Wood for many FSC -labeled JELD-WEN products is sourced through the company’s sawmill, which is also certified through FSC®. (FSC C100683)
JELD-WEN has implemented measures to avoid sourcing the following:
- Wood harvested illegally
- Wood harvested in violation of traditional and civil rights
- Wood harvested from forests where high conservation values are threatened by management activity
- Wood harvested from forests being converted to plantations or non-forest use
- Wood harvested from forests in which genetically modified trees are planted
For specific JELD-WEN FSC certifications visit http://info.fsc.org/certificate.php
Green Building InitiativeTM
JELD-WEN is a board member of the Green Building Initiative (GBI). GBI is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to accelerate the adoption of building practices that result in energy-efficient, healthier, and environmentally sustainable buildings by promoting credible and practical green building approaches for residential and commercial construction.
GBI administers Green Globes®, an online, interactive green rating and assessment tool. Green Globes is an affordable way to identify strategies that help improve a new or existing building’s overall environmental performance.
Green Building Council
JELD-WEN is also proud to be a member of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and creates many windows and doors that may help a building project earn LEED certification.
LEED 2009 Credits
LEED 2009 Credits
SmartWay® Transport Partnership
JELD -WEN is excited to be part of the SmartWay® Transport Partnership an innovative collaboration between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and industry. The program’s goal is to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions related to freight operations. To be a SmartWay® partner, JELD-WEN has agreed to continue to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, a top priority of its fleet and SmartWay partner carriers.
Continuous improvements made to JELD-WEN’s transportation vehicles include implementing speed regulation, reducing idling time, and increasing efficiencies in pickup and delivery scheduling, in addition to reducing energy use and improving shipping and operating costs.
JELD-WEN demonstrates its strong environmental leadership and corporate responsibility by contributing to the Partnership’s achievements since 2004 which include: saving 120.7 million barrels of fuel (i.e., $16.8 billion savings in fuel costs), eliminating 51.6 million metric tons of CO2, eliminating 738,000 tons of NOx, and eliminating 37,000 tons of particulate matter.